11.12.2007

A Black School?

Why are we even debating this? We are a multicultural society. Anything the does not promote us to live in harmony shouldn't even be considered.


I grew up in a post-minorities Brampton, I was the only black girl in all my class from grade 2 until 5 so needless to say the only things I learned about black history came from my family. I wasn't looking for my school to teach me about me and it made me more rounded to be in a school that wasn't all black. It's how the society works, we all work together so we should try to learn together.


The goal of this school hopes to curve the dropout rates of young black males but school is not the problem. These youths won't attend class more just because there are black history classes or black teachers. The issue with young black males (YBM) in the GTA is more serious than that. Programs, seminars, and community reach outs have been used to try and encourage YBM's to seek an education but have not completely solved the problem and a black school won't either.


Bottom line: A Black-focused School is just as a bad as a White Supremacy School and we wouldn't want that would we?

No comments: