3.04.2008

School Debate Update


So I stand corrected, maybe a black focus school is exactly what is needed for the youths in certain communities. It's at least worth a try. I found myself agreeing with Dalton McGuinty's point that we do not need a black focus school and that we should promote togetherness. Bless his heart, he is a great guy but that's just the problem. He is an upper middle class, middle aged white male. What does he know about what is needed for the poor black youths that this school hopes to help?

He knows even less than myself and my friends who are privileged in that we were products of two parent homes and educated in the peel district. We lived in houses not in government subsides apartments. We had guardians not just a single mother who had to care for us and 3-5 of our siblings. The disparities are never-ending.

How dare we think just because we are minorities and we survived that these Toronto youths don't need assistance. They are usually not exposed to positive black role models and a black focus school can provide them with that.

That is now my stand the debate. Now we still don't know what the curriculum will entail but I'm sure if them employ people that actually want to make a difference, this school will have a big effect.

Thanks to those older people that shed light on my ignorance regarding the topic and I look forward to seeing the positive change this school will promote.

No comments: