4.18.2008

Double Minority

Bless the government of Canada and their catchy adds. The last one I saw (and probably the first one I have noticed in a while) was about accessibility.
It was a cartoon of a man in a wheelchair with his resume in this hand at a door that says "Now Hiring" (or something like that) but there are stairs at the door, so the man can't apply.
The caption: Some Interviews are Over Before they Start.
Interesting. And I do advocate for rights for the disabled (I try not to use their toilets and I'm now okay with the parking spots they get) but there was something off about the add.
The man in the chair was Asian. I swear. I get often but I rarely see an Asian man in a wheelchair. Seen White (of course) and even Black but not Asian. So why would the government make the add with one?
Either way I felt sorry for the man. Not only was he in a wheelchair but he was a minority. That makes him a double minority...much like myself (Black, Female).

No comments: