4.07.2008

A YccTO Legend


There are many things that a young GTA native like myself could talk about at this moment, like the Junos that just took place last night (which I didn't watch), or the fact that the Leafs are now golfing instead of playing the play-offs (I'm used to that though).


Instead of making reference to those (I just did!), I'm going to talk about the individual who I believe is responsible for my interest in media. Master T.


A true GTAer would know who I'm talking about and can even remember the name of Master T's show. For those who are lost though, T was a VJ on MuchMusic. He started in the 80's and went on to produce the station only urban based show, Xtendamix (later known as DaMix).


T left the station though in 2001 and began working in the music industry and a couple years later released a compilation CD (a reggae one that I have).


Since then though little has been heard from the dreadlocked former VJ. I googled and got nada, however I'm certain he still doing well. At least I hope so.


I had the pleasure of meeting Master T at McMaster University in 2002. He's a very well spoken character (as anyone who has seen him interview Mary J, Lauryn Hill or even Tupac would know). I was a bit over eager at the encounter too. What can I say, he was the link to a world of black and Caribbean media for a young girl in the suburbs. His show was a staple before we had BET. Do you remember Wednesdays and Saturday episodes? Of course you do. Or his yearly trip to Reggae Sunsplash? T was a great host and even better interviewer.


If anyone know where this GTA Icon is pleeeease let me know!

No comments: